A Brief History of the Tule
River Indian Reservation
The Tule River Indian Reservation
was established by Presidential Executive Order as a homeland
for Tule River, Kings River, Owens River, Monache Cajon and
other scattered bands of Indians in 1873. The Tule River Reservation
was one of four Indian reservations authorized by Congress
in 1864, and is a portion of the much larger aboriginal homelands
lost by the Indians throughout the Central Valley of California
in the 1800Ős.
The Tule River Reservation
covers over 55,000 acres in the southern end of the Sierra
Nevada mountains and is surrounded by the great agriculture
belt of the San Joaquin Valley and the Sequoia National Park
and National Monument. Covering almost 85 square miles, the
Reservation is home to a diverse collection of flora and fauna,
including the southernmost stands of Giant Sequoia trees.
The Reservation is approximately 20 miles from the city of
Porterville and is approximately 90 miles south of Fresno,
and 70 miles north of Bakersfield.